Thursday, April 14, 2011
Start your weekend healthy with this!
Lets all face it, we like to grill......no, actually I think we all love to grill! Typically alot of people try not to eat red meat during lent and tend to go towards seafood. Well, why fry fish or steam fish when you can grill and why not add a little flare to it? What the hell, lets start the weekend healthy because we all know that healthy really does not exist during weekend. What's cooking, you might ask: Grilled Fish tacos washed down with a quenching cantelope agua fresca (spanish for fresh water) infused with fresh mint. This is a great dish for anytime of the year especially during the spring and summer time. Its easy, quick and affordable, yeah that's right its affordable (granted it depends on what fish u use)! Its great for chefs (cost control) and great for the fire crew (chow kitty $$$; which I'll explain later) hell its great for everyone! I recommend using tilapia for something like this, its light, firm, neutral flavored and affordable...last I saw it was around $4/pound...not bad!
Fish Taco (makes two tacos)
1 tiliapia filet (5-7 ounce)
2 ounces of oil
1/4 tsp of kosher salt
1/4 tsp of white pepper (it is best to use white pepper on fish, since fish is a delicate protein and white
2 corn tortillas
2 ounces of red and green shredded cabbage (baged cole slaw mix work fine as well)
1/2 ounce of shredded carrot (should be in the bagged cole slaw mix)
4 sprigs of cilantro
1 ounce of mayonnaise
1 ounce of chipotle sauce (u can find it in a can in the mexican food aisle at your local grocery store)
1. Preheat your grill for about 15 minutes on medium to high heat.
2. In a bowl toss the tilapia, oil, salt and pepper.
3. Grill the fish on each side for about 5-7 minutes.
4. In a seperate bowl mix the cabbage, carrots, mayonnaise and chipolte sauce.
5. Once the tilapia is done, place the tortillas on the grill for about 45 seconds to an minute and heat on
6. Place a table spoon of the cabbage mix on the tortillas, add the fish, then top it off with another table
spoon of the cabbage mix and finally garnish with the cilantro.
Cantelope Agua Fresca (makes 1- 12 ounce glass)
6 ounce of cantelope
4 ounces of water
2 ounces of ice
1 teaspoon of granulated sugar
1 sprig of fresh mint
1. In a blender add all the ingredients and liquify.
2. Pour into a glass and garnish with mint
Light, fresh and healthy....